Welcome to the Langtoft.Net - Your Community Website...
Today is >>
The village of Langtoft lies on the busy B1249 some six miles (9.5km) north of the market town of Driffield in the county of East Yorkshire. Leaving Driffield heading north, the road rises steadily from around 65ft (20m) amsl* to a point one mile (1.6km) south of Langtoft some 400ft (122m) amsl. From this point on the escarpment it is possible - on a clear night! - to see the lighthouse on Flamborough Head, approximately 15 miles (25km) to the east, and it is from this point that the road descends steeply down the winding 'Tye Howe'** Hill, arriving in the village of Langtoft in a little over one mile having descended in that short distance over 300ft (90m)!
The road twists and turns through the narrow main street of this wolds village which lies nestled in the bottom of a dale, following the form of the land and using every available corner. It is said that once a local farmer promised to buy a football field for the village team if a flat enough field could be found within the parish. He knew his money was safe, and the search goes on to this day!
It is famous for its freak weather conditions in days gone by and has been known to flood when there has been heavy rain. There is a plaque on a wall on the corner of Back Street which says, "In commemoration of the great flood of Langtoft April 10th 1657 Height of flood unknown. Also the great flood of Langtoft July 3rd 1892 Height of flood 71/2 feet."and rises again as it
* Above Mean Sea Level
There is evidence in Langtoft of the chalk land on which the Wolds lie as many of the gardens have been cut into the hillside making them very steep in places. One row of houses has been named Hillside Gardens with this in mind. The houses are a mixture of both original houses built in years gone by which have been restored to their former glory and others which are newly built properties some using recycled brick to keep in with the original properties.There is a steep side street which goes past the primary school and leads to St Peter’s Church and The Rectory.
There was a thorough restoration of the church in 1900 when the north aisle was added. But some of the original work is that of the tower, south porch and some of the south aisle. The font came from the church left in the village of Cottam, now abandoned.
The Village has its own outdoor bowling green near to a small green at the southern end of the village, on which stands a memorial to one of England’s oldest poets, Peter de Langtoft, who was born in the village in the 13th Century. He died a Canon at Bridlington Priory Church in the reign of Edward II. The memorial was erected by Sir Tatton Sykes of Sledmere. There is also St Mary’s Methodist Chapel found on Back Street, which is now unfortunatley closed, and the local public house is The Ship Inn which serves food and drink. Opposite the Ship Inn is the village green which is situated in the middle of the village. This green was once where the village pond was situated but it was filled in many years ago. The area is still called "the pond" by locals, also situated here is the war memorial.
As the road passes through the village and rises steeply at the other side, on a road just off to the left can be found The Old Mill. The property has been restored and is now a popular bar and eating place.
Langtoft existed as a hamlet in ancient times, probably coming into existence simultaneously with Weaverthorpe and Kilham, serving as an agricultural satellite village of Kilham. For many centuries Kilham was the chief wolds agricultural centre.
has it that there was once a monastery at Langtoft, although no evidence
has ever been discovered of its existence. The only evidence of an ancient
stone building ever to surface in the village was after the flood of
1892 when a large stone in the shape of a chair or font was found to
be part of an interior wall of a flood demolished cottage. The stone
was removed at the time to the vicarage garden. The conclusion drawn
was that it was the remains of a Saxon font. Several pre Norman stones
are in evidence in the outer walls of the church, possibly contemporary
with the stone font. These also could be remnants from a pre-Norman
Langtoft’s most famous son was Peter De Langtoft who lived during the latter part of the 13th Century. He was a poet and historian who wrote a ‘History of England’ in French verse. He later became a monk at Bridlington Priory.
Also resident in the village during the same era as Peter De Langtoft was Margaret De Langtoft, who later became one of the five nuns who made up the Sisterhood of Rosedale Priory.
You can read more about Peter de Langtoft by clicking this link: Pierre_de_Langtoft
|>For Sale & Wanted|
|> Help Wanted|
|> Langtoft Benefice News|
|> Langtoft Community Group|
|> Club Page|
|> Club Page|